Friday, December 29, 2006

SPF 60 and counting...

So today was a wee bit on the warm side... 50 degrees and up warm side! Now to haul out the sunscreen and take defensive measures against sun and heat stroke. Aunt Marie - you'd be proud of me...I applied sunscreen! And not just SPF 4 as I am prone to do to enhance my pasty white skin colour... I went as high as 45! Hopefully I deferred the boot and glove tan lines in the process! One of the kids went as high as SPF60... I didn't know there was such a beast!
Despite our best efforts to do 15 minute rotations on the field work, we had a few students overworking themselves in the baking sun and, needless to say, our workforce slowly shrunk by the afternoon swing. There was newfound appreciation for siesta time when our water ran out and we had to go back to camp and spend some time in the hammocks. Twist my arm on that one! It brought lots of times for rest, relaxation, and always a laugh...

I have earned the nickname Grannylocks...or granny from some of the students! Nothing like dealing with the age gap! To be honest I find it humourous...and even play it up a bit. Age is just a number, right? When we were in line at the airport, one of our fellow passengers thought I was a jr. or sr. in highschool...I'm a young lookin' granny!
Whether we're on the field or at the base camp, our whole team has really been pulling together as a unit. Leaders are arising amongst the student body. The girls have been flexing their muscles on the work field. The guys have been showing their protective "softy" side!It's amazing to see the kids interacting with the children - a bunch of whom have come up from the village to see the crazy white people that have invaded their quiet mountain habitation!
Evan misplaced the balloon blower last nite, so I had to settle for the regular balloons today... the kids loved them just the same! It seems so simple... and I was touched to receive two ears of corn from one of the girls I had given one to. It was still warm - more than likely a gift from their own supper. I can't begin to tell you how humbling that is... here I was giving a balloon that had cost pennies, and in return they gave me from the little they had. I felt so rich in receiving from the hearts of these people...
I saw my first "jungle" turkey today... gobble gobble! Thank heavens I had my telephoto lens available! I also rode back to town in the back of a truck filled with dirt and Peruvean men... not by myself of course! I can honestly say it was a great way to experience the jungle roads - natural air conditioning! There's always some adventure to be had...
Tonite we hit the streets and I actually got to email peeps for the first time since being here. Nothing like a sketchy internet "cafe" to add to the new experiences this trip has afforded. I unfortunately could not update my blog, but managed to send a few emails and msn with Monica who was sitting 5' away from me!
I cannot begin to tell you how awesome it has been to see the kids stepping up on this trip. I saw two of the students, Rachel and Colin, give out food and drink to a couple homeless children that had come up to them in the street. They didn't do it because somebody was watching...they just did it to meet a need. And this is only the tip of the iceberg of the generosity and heart of the HD students. As a leader it is truly humbling to see...

1 Comments:

Blogger Flip Flops Anonymous said...

I like corn

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home